Friday, May 10, 2013

Autoimmune Adventures: Wait...How Did I Get Here Again??

Do you ever have those moments in life where you could be doing something simple like reading a book, look up and think "How did I get here?" Seriously, sitting at a park bench watching my little Heidi Anne play tag with some little girl and I wondered that question. But went back to reading my text book. 

A little later in the day, I again forgot that I am no longer a working mom. It all started by looking at the calendar and telling Heidi Anne, "Oh, tomorrow is Friday, I bet someone will bring treats to work. I could really go for some homemade cookies." Heidi Anne looked up at me puzzled, "To bad your not at work anymore and that you're not a good cooker. I really miss those GOOD treats."  I thought, "Oh, right no more work. Wait...I think she's right on the whole "bad cooker" thing."

Before I became a stay at home Momma, (I was a working mom, who was going to school, and had a tendency for getting sick).  I never had the time to really bake something, it was rush to work, tend to Heidi Anne, pick up this, run errands, turn in a circle three times and bark like a dog. There just wasn't enough time in the day to think about, let alone actually baking treats. 

 I think that needed to change. Tonight, I started making dinner at 4:00 PM. Just so Heidi Anne could help me make dinner ( the pouring, mixing, measuring, you name it) we did it together. We made quite the mess and made slow progress. But it didn't matter one little bit, I had all the time in the world, I didn't need to rush off to anywhere. 

As the two of us sat down to eat dinner (90 messy, giggling, "sampling" minutes later) she had two servings of her chicken and rice that she made. "I cooked dinner. It was HARD work, so I am going to eat you all gone Mr. Chicken!" Then as the fork got closer to her mouth she started to say in a high voice "Noooo, please don't eat meeee...." CHOMP!" Then she gave me the biggest smile. Next was a bite of rice, "You're sticky rice, you were hard to stir but sooo yummy to eat! Say Hi to Mr. Chicken in my tummy." I busted up laughing at that point. Dinner continued on in that fashion, food begging to be spared. Alas, there were no survivors this day on her plate. 

I just laughed and thought again, How did I get here?  I then realized, I've been thinking about it all wrong. It doesn't matter how I got to this point, nor why I didn't get there sooner or later. The important thing is I'm here now and I will try my hardest to love and enjoy every unexpected second of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi