Thursday, May 23, 2013

Autoimmune Adventures - If You Think Gas is Expensive - Try Enbrel

Yeah, I've seen the price of gas at the pump - and I cringe. It's even worse when I drive past an old gas station just off the road, it still has the price of gas listed the day it was closed. The price for 1 gallon of gas, $1.09. Did your jaw just drop too?

Well, now you know the price of gas, here is the price of 50 CCs of Enbrel - Only $2,777.oo. OUCH! Sadly I've been out of Enbrel for 2 weeks now and it shows. It makes me realize how every effective my treatments are, when I am able to get the needed medication. Yeah, I've had to try to salvage (or as I like to call it "Upcycle") clothing for Heidi Anne, she's going though a growth spurt NOW of all times.

Right off the bat - Yes medication can be so pricey. However, it takes years and years of research, development, getting the FDA approval, the time and materials it takes to create the medication. Do I wish it didn't cost sooo much that I am on a payment plan with the manufacture?  YES! But I understand.

Why why post this? To help out other people in similar situations. It's taken me months to figure this stuff out. So think of it as cheat codes. If you want more in depth info, leave me your contact information / see my contact info.

1) The cost of the medication seems to high. Ask your doctor if there is a generic version of the medication. Same compounds, just the "Great Value" brand of medication. Honestly, I doubt anyone is going to notice you're giving your child "generic alternative inhaler". However, there ARE some medications that work best name-brand,  talk to your doc.

2) The cost of the medication seems to high and there isn't a generic option for you. Again, talk with your doctor. Depending on the medication they can increase the dose but have you split it in half, lasting 2 months. For example, you should take 50 mg of your medication. The doctor could give you an RX for 100 mgs, with a memo to split it in half. Now you're covered for at least 60 days.

3) Shop around. Call the pharmacies to see what they will charge to and get the better deal. I've been surprised with mail order pharmacy programs, and they often give you a 90 supply. Bonus!!

4) You ran out of medication and payday isn't for another week: Talk with your prescribing physician or his nursing staff. Explain your financial issues, they could have some "samples" to help tie you over until you get paid.

5) The medication is rather pricey, even with insurance. Again, work with your doctor or their nursing staff. Some pharmaceutical companies have special discount cards that the office can give to financially needy patients. You'll never know if you don't ask.

6) Google it. Sometimes the manufacture offers some discount plans themselves or are able to offer assistance you didn't even knew existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi