Monday, August 26, 2013

Starting Kindergarten Perception vs. Reality

If you had told me 5 years ago I would be crying after I dropped my Heidi Anne off to her first day of Kindergarten I would have said something like "Nope, I won't cry - now where did I put that Monster Energy Drink?!?" (Remember this time five years ago I was so sleep deprived and working full time). 
Making a Paper Chain
Getting Supplies Ready 
Really, who can look at that sleeping 5 week old baby and think beyond the next feeding or changing? I tried to do the cute Printrest ideas, like making a paper chain counting down to when school started. With little milestones; registration day, assessments day, back to school night. We made the chain but then life decided I needed a detour to the hospital for a week. 
So Heidi Anne's first day of school hit me a lot harder then I expected. Luckily, she has wonderful Aunts who all stepped up while I was down. She was so excited to learn that one of her Aunts (Sarah) is a Librarian. Heidi Anne loves the library. When we went to "Back to School" night the first thing she asked was "Where is the library?" 
She spent the last few days of summer reviewing her colors, shapes, numbers, basic addition and subtraction, spelling her name, and just being read to. When I would start to think "Did I prepare her enough for the real world? Is she ready for this? Am I ready for this?" She would just pop up and want to "play school" again and again. 
Playing School-Note Pencil in Her Hair
So there I am, in the driver's seat, just 8 days after being released from the hospital. I am dropping my one and only baby girl, Heidi Anne, off to her first day of school, in a beautiful shirt and jeans, her new Hello Kitty backpack with canyons, (all of which were gifts from unknown angels). She is bouncing up and down in her booster seat making up a song about "I love school, I love school, I'm a big girl because I go to school..." We pull up, she gets out of the car, and she tells me with a huge grin "Maybe I will get homework tonight and you can help me with it!" I tell her of course I will help her. She pats my cheek and says "I'm glad you didn't die Momma, I would miss our adventures. And I think school is going to have LOTS of adventures for me. Love You!"
She hops out of the car, runs into school, and I cry the whole way home. I cry because she's going to school, I cry because she's right - school is an adventure, and I cry because my baby had 8 days worrinying about me not being there for her. Then I cry because of all the love and support we've been given these last few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi