Thursday, August 15, 2013

Medical Personal in the Smog: The Initiation into the Tribe

Late Afternoon of August 12

I had just been informed that I am about to participate in a initiation  into this community, furthermore I was only given minimal amount of forewarning. This procedure is known in layman's terms as a "Bone Marrow Biopsy."I had been fearful of taking part in this practice for nearly 5 days. However, it was clear that I wouldn't be able to return home unless I had this "Bone Marrow Biopsy." 


To help relax me prior to this initiation I was given medication-a craft these Medical Professionals have developed over the centuries. The Medical Professionals decided to perform the ceremony in my room. I was told this is becoming more and more commonplace. They also felt that my room was more sterile and latex free then the traditional location, called the "Operation Room". They let Char know that he didn't have to witness this. He sat by me and held my hand the whole time. He is such a great man, I am glad he choose to be my Guide in this foreign place. 


Slightly relaxed (thanks to their concoction) I laid on my bed, flat on my stomach. My face went between being buried in the pillows to focusing on Char's eyes, back to pillows, back and forth. My hands had a vice-grip on his, not letting go for the life of me. 


Then they rolled in the cart with all the implements neatly organized. First I was injected with some numbing medication. Once I could tolerate more they moved forward. Next they drilled a few holes into the left side of my hip. I yelped in pain. They promised that the pain would soon subside. However, these Medical Professionals know their trade well and went ahead and gave me more of their concoction. 


Once they bore though the bone and into the marrow they plucked some of the fibrous tissue. I could feel it from the incision point down to the middle of my left thigh. I winched in pain a little. I said out-loud "Well, now I know how Twizzlers Pull~n~Peels must feel like when you strip them away from each other." Everyone in the room laughed. The chuckles lightened the mood quite a bit. Next they removed the marrow, again I know how a shake must fill like when you slurp to the last drop. I will never slurp my smoothies every again, it is very uncomfortable for the cup.


I now know how Ikea furniture must feel when it's being drilled and semi-put together. Complete with the messing pieces (as they took away some of my bone and marrow). If these had not been Medical Professionals I wouldn't have been shocked if one of them asked "Now, where did I put that Allen Wrench?"


The Medical Professionals started to mend my scar marking me a member of their tribe forever. We (Char and I both) were very curious as to what exactly had been removed. The Medical Professionals enlightened us and we all conversed about the intricacies of Oncology / Hematology. 

Nonetheless, I was left wondering if these objects were to be scarified in some laboratory ritual after my initiation.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi