Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Medical Personal in the Smog: Hints of Humanity and the Outside Word

Heidi Anne with her Aunts
(The Afternoon of August 12)

Day Four of my exile-Day 2 of being in isolation.
I have begun to feel like the natives. They seem to adorn themselves with with different garments and with different colors to establish the hierarchy of this interesting society. Thanks to my translator, Charles, we are able to interpret some of their native tongue, known as "Medical Terminology"
Another behavior that is very helpful is how the chief of the group will fully translate what was being discussed.

The unfortunate thing is how we arrived to this location with only the clothing on our backs. My mom, Grandma Lori, gave some very useful advise to my husband. She instructed him to run home and pack some bags with clothing, toiletries, anything that would be needed.

I have since learned there is a vast difference between how a man packs versus the (much more effective ;D way) a lady packs. Thank-fully my sister, Rebekah, came to my rescue. She brought shampoo, conditioner, lotion, comb, all those little things that are so very important to have and to use in order to regain that "I am a women" confidence.

In addition to humanitarian supplies, she brought Kayla and Rykken to visit with us. Those two are just such sweet kids. They have the cutest smiles, very sincere of the feelings of those around them. They can sit still for amazing spaces of time. They make you laugh, they try to do that same action again. I think those two sweeties could just stop by each hospital room to bring a little bit of innocence to others. We took them no a traditional ride where in the Smog, it's where you sit somewhere on the gurney. Right in the middle of a gurney ride my Oncologist / Hematologist (a doctor who specializes in cancer and blood disorders) came into the room.

Now this particular Medical Personal of the Smog has a very unique attire. He tends to were a tweed 3 piece suite, cool multi-colored polyester ?) ties, and coordinating shirt. To top it off he has metal circular eye glasses, and bushy brown hair. He's a fun blend of Little House on the Prairie and a hint of 1970's movie Fever). He came into the room and told me the news, I would be needed a bone marrow biopsy. Oddly, I was sort of happy that my sister and Char were in the room with me when I was told I should undergo the bone biopsy. Their faces, nodding in understanding or in agreement with the Medical Professional from the Smog gave me that unspoken support I needed. I quickly bounced back from my shy ,downward demeanor and to my normal self.  

The tribe's man began to explain how a bone marrow biopsy is performed, the purpose of a biopsy, how they would give me some anti-anxiety medication, Perhaps pain meds if I needed them. The procedure would be done in my hospital room. OH, and the bone marrow biopsy would begin in 30 minutes. Less time to stress out...Right? WRONG!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi