Sunday, September 1, 2013

Return to the Medical Professionals - Biopsy Results Show!!

Finally, the day had come. I was to return to the Medical Professionals in the Smog to get the results of my bone marrow and bone marrow aspiration biopsy results. (I jokingly called it "The Biopsy Results Show")
In theory the appointment was very simple:
- BIG RULE 1 - NO CHILDREN Under the age of 14 (I kept waiting for a nurse, Intern, registration personal to ask for my ID. There are little signs of "Please leave any child under the age of 14 at home. I am pretty sure there is fine print of "We reserve the right to ID card any patient or person at anytime."
Since Heidi Anne is still 9 years away from being 14 Char's sister Em was going to watch her for the 90 minute doctor appointment. 
-11:50 Aunt Em watches Heidi Anne for the "90 Minute" doctor appointment.  
-12:10 We get to the Huntsman Cancer Institute (which has free valet parking so patients and caregivers aren't split up when one is parking the care while the other checks in.) There are musical instruments to play, puzzles to work on, books to read, crafts to work on, and just beautiful details all around. You walk in and you know there is Hope. You feel this WHOOOSH Good Vibes. Well Played Huntsman Senior! 
-12:11-12:35 Register, blood work done, and they gave me a heavy duty respirator because I had a cough to match it. We wait, we watch people go in and out of the infusion rooms (where you get chemo treatment). Nervous-Do I want it to be Leukemia, because I will finally know 100% what this is and how to treat it. Then the other side is Cancer---YIKES!!.  
1:10 PM- Results, I DO NOT HAVE the following (remember, they are leaving no stone un turned).
I DO NOT Have HIV/AIDS (which was a serious concern due to all the blood transfusions), I do NOT have Myelodysplastic Syndrome ( you wouldn't need a Magic 8 ball to know what that would mean). The only way to verify this was with a biopsy. 

2:20-3:15-The "I Dos" began. I DO have Prednisone Induced Diabetes, Acquired Pancytopenia (not genetic), a yet to be named anemia, and the SCARES ME - The Fungal pneumonia. Yes, fungal pneumonia. When that result came back they redid the labs to verify that I am free of HIV / AIDS. Turns out, this thing only happens to severely immunodeficient  people. If you want to Google it, feel free. 
What this means to me, is my body will reject any anti rejection medication or anything that can influence my DNA. This severely handicaps my treatment of my autoimmune disorder. BUT there are more discoveries coming every day. And soon we'll know what has been making me sick. 

3:15-3:20--Field trip!! I got to go to get an x-ray. Then I tried to come back but was sent to a room where they zipped me up in a plastic bubble. Then I was giving a 50 minute treatment. In a bubble. I was making jokes about how "I do not Like the Cone of Shame! ~~ Squirrel!! Just making making people laugh. Little thoughts like "Why can't they give me dry erase markers so the nurses and I could play tic-tac-toe. Oh, keep in mind the nurses were in full haz mat (for the out there, the jump suites and gear the dude from Breaking Bad use). 
3:20-Closing Time More fumigation. I also got a follow up appointment for later this month. Please keep us in your prayers. This form of pneumonia is very hard to treatment.

Oh PS- Today was My 7th year anniversary of being married to Charles. He spent the day nursing me back to health. I love that Man. And Heidi Anne got her Jodi-Adventure. It's a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi