Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Riding the Waves

Consider the SEALs (Since they've been in the news so much lately I will use them as an example--and honestly lilies are not in season right now.) They go through in depth and hard training. The final test is loving called "Hell Week". For a week they go out in the ocean swim / paddle a boat, run, and do it all over-24 hours non stop with out sleep. They don't know for how long they've already endured it, how much longer is left-they just have to keep going. 

And that's when the Bell rings. When the Bell rings-a Cadet is dropping out-he's hit his point. His brothers call to him, they beg him to stay, encourage him to fight on. 

But still the Bell tolls.

I have a Hero named Marcus Luttrell--but he would never call himself a hero. He was the soul survivor of Seal team 10. He pretty much summed up how men even survive Hell Week.  You don't think about it as 7 whole days of misery or when will this end, you just focus on this next wave. Once it passes, you focus on the next wave, then you focus on the next.  You rally your brothers and keep their spirits up as well, because Hell is easier when you're in good company.

When you need too, you can look back and see how far you've come and think "I can't give up now, look at all I've done." Or when you want to quit you think "What if I'm almost there, I don't want to ring the bell-just to find out 5 minutes later the week was over." 
You need Endurance to survive Hell Week physically, but you need Hope to get though it. 

I will be honest-Friday I came close to ringing the Bell. I was weak, I was tried, I couldn't breath, the pain was overwhelming, for the first time I lost focus of the next wave and I saw the whole ocean. I was overwhelmed with the thought of, "Why fight it, you only have 6 months-why fight? You don't know how long this will last, you could be in this much pain for all of it. What if they never solve this mystery?" 

Well I have good company in Hell. My little girl cuddled up on my lap and Char held the both of us. My focus came back,  I have to fight or die trying; she has to know we didn't give up, we tried everything, and we LOVED every minute of it. I don't want to ring the Bell and be the last Cadet before the week ends. I have my Hope, I am just riding the wave, one at a time-no more looking at the ocean. I love all of those who are rallying and cheering and praying for me and our family. 


If you're going through Hell keep on going--and why not enjoy the scenery-I hear it's lovely this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi