Monday, May 30, 2011

Hi Ho Silver!!!

As you know, I am slightly stubborn. Okay-slightly maybe an understatement. Many of my doctors know this little fact about me, thus they have given up on Doctor's Orders and now give me Advise (normally associated with "I really mean it" glares-but heads are shaken in futility).

I was "Advised" a few months back to get a cane-and Strongly Advised once the bone scans came back. I had to think about it-hard-and even came up with a pros and cons list of getting a cane. I know I need it, because I am a "fall risk" and how I haven't broken any bones is anyone's guess. It also helps because well, my mobility isn't what it was just a few weeks ago. I will share my pro and con list I made.

My Con's: Side Note- I realized as I did this it was just me justifying to myself
  • "I'm not that bad"
  • People will stare-or think I am overreacting (Like gee, she didn't have a cane before and Now she does)--Yes, the personal fable-we never out grow the high school people are staring at me thought
  • I can't find a pretty one >^..^<
  • Canes clank, so I can't sneak up on people anymore
My Pro's:
  • I can look like House-If a cane is good enough for a pretend Dr-why not?
  • Speaking of doctors, the doctors Strongly Advised it, and they did go to like 15 years of Med school-so they might be right about this.
  • I can now do one of those "I've Been HEALED" and toss away the cane and walk at a revival (list of churches and cults I've been banned from will be coming shortly). (>..)>
  • I can go on longer walks that don't have handrails-thus allowing me to achieve my Moving Forward Goals and Little Moments.
  • I can now learn how to walk quietly WHILE using a big stick. I will be sneaky and quite when walking again.
  • If it gives everyone else around me piece of mind, why not? It just helps gives me support in case I were to fall, and helps my arthritis, so I can stay more mobile. Not as much as I was-but more then I would be.
  • If you stomp your cane-it's more effective then stomping your foot.
  • I just use it like I'm a turn of the century gentle-person, just a nice walking stick, that is there in case I fall. I think my posture has even gotten better and a hint of a British accident has developed.
  • I freak out people when I can talk perfectly normal and provide parents with Excellent learning opportunities. Example:
I was outside with Heidi Anne, there was a family handing out fliers. A little girl (about 5) came close to me to hand me the flier, saw the cane, and just stared at me. I said "Hi sweetie". She RAN back to her dad. "Dad-That woman is special. What do I do??" He looked back at me, I smiled and waved. He said "Just go give her the flier". "But Daaaadddddd, she's special...". He whispered something. She timidly came back, stared at the cane, gave me the flier, I said Thank-you. She looked at me again and then BOOKED it back to her dad and clinged to him for dear life.
I was proud of myself, I didn't giggle until I got back in the house. "Dad, she's special....." I am sure I was their dinner table discussion that night. <(^_^)>

Heidi Anne also found some pro's for the cane. When I don't use it, It's her horsey, (she rides around yelling "Faster Horsey, faster!") it can be a wand, or her rifle, or her own cane like Momma. The uses are limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi