Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Experiences of a Guinea Pig


(I was thinking of calling this the Lab Rat Saga-but I didn't know where to insert the werewolf love triangle).

I had some testing done on Friday-I got a Capsule Endoscopy-(side note, I have now had every form of tummy scopy that can be done-in less the 7 months. Yeah ME!!)

It starts the day before, where you are on a clear liquid diet right at noon. You can't even drink Coke-the horror!! So Char made me a lovely "last meal" of real barbecued chicken, green beans, and great potatoes and a special brownie--not Hippie special, we just don't get treats that often. After that-no coke, no few foods that I can eat, no nothing. So Gatorade and sprite for me. Until 10:00pm, then not even water was allowed. Ever notice how you can go days and days without even feeling thirsty, but when you can't have something-it's ALL you want. I normally HATE water-I need it chilled, filtered, sometimes flavored-goodness-I thought of nothing but Water. I'm pretty sure I got a little ornery
.
So the next morning, we go at 8:00 am to get set up. I go in and they hook you up to a lot of sensors-which should detect how everything from tummy on down are (or aren't) working. Then you have a 10 lb. weight that doubles as a video recorder, data collector, and capsule tracker strapped to you. You then take a pill that is the size of a vitamin-yet is the most expense, coolest piece of technology, you will ever sallow on purpose.
Two hours later I was able to finally drink my Gatorade-32 ozs in about 90 mins-(I had to pace myself).

So you're not supposed to move much when your being monitored. You used to just lay in the hospital bed for 8 hours. But now apparently they send you home and tell you to come back right away if something happens-otherwise, come back in 8 hours or if the blue light stops blinking.
1 hour into the test-something happened. All my sensors came off. I put them back on as well as I remembered the nurse putting them (A sensor went over liver, C over stomach, B & D--Darn they look like the same color-who makes Orange and Tan sensors for the 2 letters that look similar??)
Back we went, apparently I did pretty good on the sensor match up. They put them on the exact spots where they belonged (I even got B and D right) and we added extra tape to hold them in place.

Back to resting. My friend Val and her twins came and rescued me from the boredom and those nagging thoughts of,  "Freak what is this thing finding?" Please find something treatable. Wonder what the picture / video quality is like? Boy this has got to be a super boring video to watch-8 hours of 360 degree view of everything of my tummy, plus all the data--(I bet you got board just reading it (^_^) ) It was wonderful to see her and her family. It was the pick me up I totally needed. Heidi Anne had a blast with her twins. It's just fun to see friends, it makes me all the more stubborn to fight this. Hello-I soo want to see those girls be just like their parents-MacGyver juniors.

Then off to another Dr. His news wasn't so fun. My treatments have induced type 2 diabetes--bright side is I'm only super close. Yes, there is a bright side. Since I don't 100% have it yet (by 5 points) we'll just treat me like I do-so that way we can prevent me from having it permanently once this is all over. We'll that's the plan. If it doesn't work, we'll all be on a healthier diet.

We also discovered that I pretty much have NO bone density at all. It's so bad, they couldn't compare it to anyone or anything-no studies or stats exist. I have to be super careful-somehow my body just won't take in calcium or vitamin D. He wanted to do massive doses via IV to try to start some bone protection, however, my body just won't take it in. So I just have to be super careful. He suggested I do a capsule endoscopy sometime to see if we can see what this malabsorption issue is. Hahaha-Check.
We also ruled out what isn't the cause of my liver issues & pancreas issues. Which is good-because it helps us to look in the right direction. A negative test isn't always bad, it's an elimination game-like mind sweeper or bingo.

After that I was able to have my first bite of food in 24 hours-I had my favorite non-sushi treat, Banana Nut Muffin. I love those. Sooo good. I went and took a nap-I was exhausted. I have been a bit tired-but Friday took the cake-I got the muffin-hahahah.
While I slept Nana, Char, and Heidi Anne went on a shopping trip and got Heidi Anne some much needed new clothes. She has decided Now is the perfect time for a growth spurt. She went from 24 months/ 2T (since like this time last year) to 3T over night-2 weeks ago. Now she is already in 4T. I think all the rain has some effect on her... She loved to show me her shirts and dresses and outfits. She wore an outfit today and barrettes.

At 4:30 the study was finally over. I went and got all unhooked. We then had a fun Chinese dinner with Char's folks and sister Laura (Rapunzel Hair). Then home again-now we wait for test results to come back.

So things I've learned so far:
1) Other people are truly Angels in disguise-and sometimes they are the answer to your prayers
2) We can't be a person of steel all the time-We normally carry our burdens all alone (others have it worse I would say, or others need the help more, or we can handle it why bug others), but this one is just to much.
3) I absolutely love where I work-My friends, co-workers, everyone, it's really a second family, and after 4 1/2 years how can it not be? Even my friend Val still refers to it as "Our work" and she's been away for a year.
4) I have a lack of bone density, nearly diabetic, malabsorption issue, with liver failure. But the doctor has a hunch, we just did a great test for the malabsorption issue, and all I need is 10% of my liver to survive, everyone should eat healthy anyways, and it just puts my secret BMXing while Skydiving dreams on hold for awhile until my bones get-well get bones.
5) Just because you're a Guinea Pig, it doesn't mean you can't have fun. It makes it a little harder I will admit-the whole no opposable thumbs and all-but you can still have fun.

 

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog. Thanks for being so inspirational. Random question . . .what is the most expensive piece of technology that you have swallowed on accident?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking more along the lines of a kid swallowing a blue tooth, or a Ipod Nano Invisa, by accident.

    ReplyDelete

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi