Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Birth

It all started Saturday July 5th around 7:30 I gave Charlie a call telling him to get ready to come, it was probably was going to start soon. This was a problem because he was 2 hrs away. Later at around 10:30 I called him and told him my contractions were at every 2 minutes and very painful. It took him 1 1/2 hr to convince me that he should come down. he left at 12:00 and got to where I was staying at 2:00 am, it took me 1 hr to convince him that I didn't need to go in, he slept for 2 hrs because he and I were tired, my contractions slowed down and I got some sleep too. I got up at 5:20 to use the restroom and when I came back I asked Charlie for cuddles because I was not feeling good, and all of a sudden I felt a gush of water that went all over the bed, Charlie jumped up just in time only getting a little wet. We then jumped into the car and drove to the hospital thinking we would have our baby girl that day. Oh how wrong we were, we go there and they put us on pitocin at around 9 am and then it started getting uncomfortable. We labored all that day, and on into the night. At around 11:30 it started to get real painful and I started blacking out because of the pain. They had to put on an oxygen mask because I was not getting enough oxygen. Oh yeah did I mention no epidural! From 11-3 I was in the worst pain of my life, I got so bad I was getting delusional talking about black jelly fish and demanding Charlie to put down his book and help me even though he didn’t have a book and was rubbing my back. At around 3 am I felt the need to push, the nurses checked me and I was at a 9.5 and they called the doctor and I started pushing. The doctor got there on time and I got a baby episiotomy, real tiny like. And the baby was out. That is when it got real bad, there was lots of leftovers in the uterus they had to scrape out with no anesthesia stitch me up with out anesthesia and then I started to hemorrhage, they had an anesthesiologist come in to prep me for a hysterectomy but my doctor yelled him away. Nurses were suggesting the crash cart, and calling a code. But they gave me the things that I needed and put me back together. I got two transfusions and a host of other drugs and spiked a fever of 104. The baby on the other hand was quickly put on my chest and whisked away, cleaned, measured and given the right shots. She was 7 lbs and 1 oz and 19.5 inches long, and yellow. They took her to the well baby Nursery and then taken to the NICU to maintain oxygen levels and to bring down the jaundice. She was suffering form a hematoma, low oxygen saturation and being yellow, they ran blood and found an elevated white blood count, and started some medicine to help with the possible infection, gave her a shot to help reverse the effects of the drugs I was give to try to help with the pain during birth. They put her under Belie Lights to help with the jaundice, however it went up still and they were scared and some nice nurse suggested that they take the baby off of IV’s to help flush out the broken blood cells. It took several days in the NICU to help her to get stable. Charlie convinced the doctors that the baby ought to go home and they agreed.vinced the doctors that the baby ought to go home and they agreed.

1 comment:

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi