Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Was Cancelled This Year ( 2-14-12 = 0 )

Char pointed that out to me a few days before Valentine's Day, that 2 minus 14 minus 12 = 0, ergo, No Valentine's this year. (Maybe the Mayans' were on to something with this whole End of the World in 2012...) As it turned out, his little joke almost turned out to be true for us. 
You've Got Mail!!
We will start with the fun things we did. A few days before Valentines I brought mini mail boxes for my team to decorate for Valentine's. We have some Very, Very crafty people on my team. It was a ton of fun.
Around this time my stomach started to hurt, alot. But I being me ignored it. The night before Valentines I was pretty sick and in even more pain. But I was determined to not let it get me down. I had work to do AND I really wanted to join in on the fun.
Cori's Surprise for Us
Valentine's Day-I wasn't feeling good at all. However, I told myself "If I can go through labor for 30 hours, I should be able to handle this." Off to work I went. I was so glad I went! My friend Cori made the cutest Valentine's Day gift I have ever seen! She made these out of baby food jars! 
Mine is the one with Three Flowers
 Inside they have Valentine's Kisses and M&Ms. It is so freaking cute. Whitney made some pretty sugar cookies as well, but I don't have pictures of them. According to Heidi Anne they were "Pretty AND Yummy!"

Around 9:30 I feel like I might pass out. I was short of breath and in horrible pain. I had eaten my first doughnut in months. BIG Mistake. I tried to fight it - but it was just to much. I called the doctor and he was worried it was my pancreatitis coming back. He sent me to the ER. At 11:30 we were on our way to the ER, I told Char "Guess Valentine's really is cancelled."

Thus we spent the next 5 hours at the ER. I nearly always allow students and interns to be in the room or do the procedures, my theory is they won't see another case like mine for years OR they have to practice on someone, why not someone who's been through this frequently that the procedure doesn't really worry me. As I had my ultrasound done by a 2 week into the program student - I regretted my decision for the first time ever as he JABBED the ultrasound repeatedly into my stomach, liver, ribs, kidney, back to the stomach. The nurse was super sweet and gave me some meds for my good sportsmanship and I soon forgot most of the experience.

Finally, all the tests came back and it turned out I was very dehydrated (no duh) and either had a horrible stomach flu, issues left over from the pneumonia, issues from all the bloody noses I've been having, ulcers, or D all of the above. The good news was my liver wasn't failing again AND I didn't have pancreatitis, which was the major concern. They are leaning towards ulcers and I am starting to agree.
It was roughly 4:30 when we left the ER. For a treat I got a milkshake, it supposed to help ulcers. Plus I was so medicated I was able to stomach food-ish items without problems.

On the other hand, Heidi Anne had a great Valentine's Day. She got so many treats and super cute cards. Whenever someone brought her a treat or a card to put in her box she would ask the teachers and the kid "Is this for me??" When they said "Yes." She would respond with "Ohhh, Thank-You!" then giggle. She came home happy as a clam.

I think Valentines is more fun when you're a kid or if you celebrate it with friends the way you did as a kid. Everyone gets a cute card, maybe a little treat, and everyone can show how crafty or creative they are.

1 comment:

  1. Wow and I thought my mom scheduling her hysterectomy on valentines was unromantic. I'm glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi