Sunday, March 20, 2011

--Need Help--Project Small Garden

Sooo I need help and Advise:
I would like to do a little garden this spring / summer. However, I don't have much space, roughly 8 feet long and maybe 3 feet wide-max (see very little). Furthermore, I'm not sure what would really grow very well here in the valley, and my little space gets almost 100% direct sun. 
So I am in dire need of suggestions, ideas, advise, websites, blogs, tips, and so on. Here is what I have so far. I must warn you, it's not much.
   
Our "Yard"-Told you it wasn't much. ^o^
Plants:
I was thinking of growing onions, carrots, some lettuces, and maybe peas or beans (since I have a little fence I think I could make a trellis). However, I am not sure what types of these veggies would be best (since there are so many varieties of onions, carrots, ect). If you know of better plants-feel free to share. <(^.^)>

*Side Note-I am trying to stay away from herbs-I ALWAYS kill them and things that get big or tall or super viney (no watermelons)

Types of Gardening:
I have heard there is Window box gardening, SQFT gardening. So here is the space I have, again-I have very little space, in an HOA-so I can't just dig up where I want and start planting, and no natural soil either. Heidi Anne plays in the grassy sections-so I was thinking of taking over some of the concrete part.
What type of method do you think would work? Or are there other options?  
The Concrete Part
Oh, I almost forgot-I want Heidi Anne to have her own little flowers to tend to as well. What are some good flowers for a toddler that will keep blooming throughout the summer for her? So I can help get her interested in Gardening. I was thinking Morning Glories-I think they bloom all season and require very little care, right?

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Peas, Marigolds, Tomatoes, and Onions are always winners in my book. Plus they all grow in direct sunlight. Heidi should enjoy watching them grow. Here's a link to my blog that has picks of sweet peas (among other things). http://illguthlife.blogspot.com/2009/06/this-week-bad-and-good.html

    I don't recommend lettuce. It has never grown for me in direct sunlight.

    ReplyDelete

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi