Sunday, April 2, 2017

Wearing Blue for April 2

April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day, with the whole month of April being Autism Awareness Month. Typically the symbol for autism are puzzle pieces with blues and primary colors. Like this one:
But the color for April 2 is blue. I'm not 100% sure why. Maybe all the other colors were taken? Perhaps they just had to pick a primary color? I think because it's Autism Speaks color of choice and they are the largest non-government advocate for those with Autism and their families in the world. 
Why is awareness so important? Why wear blue 1 day year? I believe it's to help us come together as autism families, our children can meet others like themselves and know they are not alone. It's to show how prevalent autism really is. Without awareness of autism, how on Earth will we ever gain what our children desire and need once they become teens and adults. That is just plain acceptance for who they are. I feel like acceptance begins with awareness.
This was our first April since Rory's diagnoses. I think I went overboard on the whole wearing blue thing. I even put the babies in blue pajamas the night before. They woke up wearing blue.

I have a couple cousins with autism so I was aware of it at a young age. However, I actively learned about autism when my friend's little boy was diagnosed almost 2 years ago. I wanted to support her the best I could and be a good friend. I think this made me more informed. Therefore, when Rowan started showing signs of autism we were on the ball. 
My research went from just casual interest into a Mama Bear's desire to learn everything I can about autism. I know it's only been 7 months and there is a TON I don't know yet. For example; what on earth triggers his meltdowns? What foods will he eat? How does he know different food brands when he can't read and isn't in the kitchen when I make breakfast? How well will ABA therapy work out for him? Will the speech therapy really help him learn to speak or will he stay non-verbal? But I will know these answers with time, I just have to be patient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi