Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Heidi Anne Says....

I will admit I was rather hesitant about Heidi Anne going to full day Kindergarten. I was worried it was going to be to much for her. Back in Logan her class time was roughly 2 hours and 30 minutes, with a class of 35 children. (The total amount of kindergarteners was roughly 200 kids!) She was already in a after-school resource program as well. Apparently she was behind, she loved learning her classmates native language then learning her own. She was learning more Arabic, Russian, and Spanish than English.

At her new school there are only 18 other children in her class. I am amazed at the progress she's been making. She can read words, do some basic math, and her grammar is improving. Yet, I am still surprised at the things she says.

Like yesterday when I picked her up from school. The first thing she said was "Momma! Guess what we learned about today?" So I just started saying silly things like "That you have a nose! That it's almost Christmas?" Heidi Anne proudly says "Nope! We learned about periods! It's so exciting!" 
(Yes, my eyes bulged out like a cartoon character, Will E. Coyote would have been very impressed with me). 
I told myself deep breaths. 
I cleared my throat, "So what did you learn about periods?" 
"They are those dots at the end of a sentence! And we learned about question marks and explanation marks, but those are for when you're really happy or yelling."--Crisis adverted!

Later that day I was talking with Char and asked if he had any "iders" for dinner. From the hallway we hear "Momma, you're not pronouncing it right. It's Idea, III-DEE-A, not I-Dear." 

I know her reading has greatly improved, we read a lot of Dr. Seuss books. When we read I will read I like to test her reading by saying the wrong word. She'll correct me. Last night we read Green Eggs and Ham. I would say things "Would he, could he out of box?" She'll laugh and read "Noo, it says Would YOU, could YOU IN A box. You silly Mommy! You need my help." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi