Sunday, October 1, 2017

Fevers All Around, Appointments and Playing Pretend!!

On Fever Day 4, also known as Sunday, the babies' fever continue. The doctors won't check on the Littles until they've had a fever over 100.4 for 5 constitutive days.  

Heidi Anne was reading silently on the sofa when Rowan came up and cuddled her. He asked her "Read?". Heidi Anne played along and read a passage of "Hatchet" . She stopped and returned to reading silently. He then demanded "READ, READ, READ!" She read aloud to him for a good 45 minutes. All the while if she so much as paused to catch a breath, Rowan would request "Again! Read!". 

A little later in the day Anastasia copied me in playing with her baby dolls. I'd rock one back and forth and she would "rock" the doll. She even said "Baby" once. 
Hooray!! The Littles' fevers have broken. Which is great because my fever continued. Currently, I'm the only one still suffering from a fever. 

Since Rowan was feeling better we sent him off to ABA. Rowan had an exceptional day compared to Friday. He was listening, paying attention. They've changed his programs and goals a tad since he's completed so many of his tasks. Granted, he's been doing the same goals for nearly 4 months now. 

They've been working on yoga with the kids at pre-school as a coping skill and good exercise. Currently, Rowan is having nothing to do with it. The teachers are trying to get the kids to do poses and Rowan is either sitting in the corner not playing or sprawled flat out on the floor, still not participating. 

Today at ABA they were playing a game where the balloon couldn't touch the floor. Rowan kept missing when he'd try to bop it with his hands. Then he started kicking it instead and he'd keep it in the air.     
Later in the day I had a doctor's appointment. I didn't feel up to driving the distance on my own so I had Char drive and we brought Rowan and Anastasia with us. Yeah, it was a disaster. Both needed snacks and naps and could have done without the 90 minute car ride. Rowan did settle down after the MA showed him that he could color on the touch screen in the exam room. 

On Tuesday, just as my fever was going away Char has begun to suffer from one. It's like playing hot potato here in the house. 
Rowan has begun saying "Monk-EY" when jumping on the sofa. I think he's referring to the "5 Little Monkeys" song. When he says "Monk-EY" while jumping I'll sing the "5 Little Monkeys" song to him. 

Rowan's speech therapist, Jill, brought a doll and accessories for his session. He actually played with the doll! He held it, pretended to give it food and feed it a bottle. Anastasia even said "Baby" and had a turn holding and feeding the baby doll. 

Heidi Anne had guitar lessons for the first time in 2 weeks. The teacher was impressed with how good she did that he gave her 2 songs to learn this week. Mary Had a Little Lamb and Jingle BellsIt was student appreciation day, which meant Heidi Anne got a cupcake, a sucker, and a little prize. 

As we left I noticed a little cat by the door. I picked it up so I could call the owner to let them know where their cat was at. However, when I looked on the collar it read "I live by the school, Please leave alone, Don't take me away." So I pet the cat a little and put it down, leaving it there like the collar requested. 
Wednesday was a little slow. It's been fevers, doctor and therapy appointments nearly every day. I guess some days you can use a break. 

Rowan went to ABA and had a good time. Char's fever got a little worse but was able to go to work. 
Thursday all the kids got flu shots. The nurse asked me "So oldest to youngest?"  I had put a lot of thought into the order of who would gets shots when. I decided Rowan first because he wouldn't have heard anyone else cry out and would be as relaxed as he could be. He looked at me with betrayal as he was injected. He whimpered for quite some time. 
Next was Anastasia because Rowan's cries wouldn't really warn her of impending doom and she forgives easily, (sometimes). I helped the nurse hold Anastasia down. She screamed at the initial poke but quickly stopped crying before it was even Heidi Anne's turn.
Ah, Heidi Anne. I wanted her last because she's horrible with vaccines. She screams and cries so loud with shots that I knew if she freaked out the Littles would too, beyond any doubt. She started to cry when the nurse was applying the alcohol swab yelling "It BURNS!!" The nurse and I were like, "It's just the first part where she's cleaning your skin of any germs. Calm down." Heidi Anne continued to cry from then on. Making the babies (who had settled down at this point) start to freak out with her. I told the nurse dryly "This is why I wanted her last." Finally she was injected, she SCREAMED at first and then as the shot went on, Heidi Anne began laughing. According to her "This time the flu shot wasn't as bad as I remembered!" I had told her in the beginning it wouldn't be bad. Que eye roll from me.   
The next morning Rowan had a reaction to the flu shot, he was sick to his stomach and had a fever (again) of 100.4 F. This boy can't catch a break these last 2 weeks. We kept him home from ABA and I skipped a play date I was going to take Anastasia to. I'm trying to make friends in the area we've moved to and all these moms have at least 1 child with autism around the same age as Rowan and astonishingly enough an NT around Anastasia's age. We'll just go to the next meet up. 

Char was still suffering horribly from a fever now mixed with nasty congestion. I decided to run to the store and take Anastasia with me. This was a big deal because I hate crowds of any sort, I loath shopping and I normally leave the Littles at home to get done quicker. I thought 2 babies would be to much for Char so I took the healthy 1 with me. (I could just see Rowan getting sick at the store-Clean up on aisle 4).  We had a good shopping trip and even brought some lunch home for everyone. 
Char was super sick and went to the doctor's where they determined he had a virus of some sort or another. He called into work because he's still got a high fever and just feels crappy all around. 

Well, Char is still sick and now I've got a fever and feel crummy. It's been a sick filled weekend. Fortunately, all the kids are fit as a fiddle now. If only I had the energy to match theirs. 
Anastasia is just climbing all over the place. Rowan and Heidi Anne are playing with helicopters, flying them to different destinations in the living room. For example; flying to the sofa, then to Anastasia, next the dog, and on and on. 

Anastasia just sneezed and Rowan responded "Bless you" all on his own. We tried to pretend sneeze ourselves but we didn't get a reply from him. He just adores his baby sister.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi