Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Plastic Surgeon and Prosthetic Doctor Visit

A few weeks ago we had scheduled an appointment to see a plastic surgeon regarding Anastasia's head shape, she suffers from plagiocephaly in addition to her torticollis. Around the same time Rory tried to give Anastasia a hug but ended up busting her lip. Yeah, that's going to leave a mark.

We had to leave early in the morning to got there for our 10:00 am appointment. The office was running behind and I got a chance to talk with another mom. She had an adorable baby boy who was 4 months old and 15 pounds 6 ounces. She admired Anastasia and didn't believe that she was 7 months old and just barely over 12 pounds. Eventually, the nurse came to take Anastasia back to see the doctor. 

The doctor walked in and stated "Are you here about her lip? Because that baby has a very flat head!" Which made me feel a little self aware for her lip. I told him we were here about her head shape. He was very concerned and said we needed to get an appointment with the orthopedic / prosthetic doctor right away. He was very serious and asked if I had a cell phone, puzzled I gave him my phone.

He called the other doctor from my phone! He said "I have a patient who needs to see you right away. She'll be there (looked at his watch) oh about 15 minutes." Then he handed me the phone to give them patient details and to get the address down. The receptionist informed me "We're booked for the day but were working me in and we might have a bit of a wait. But it sounds like she desperately needs to be seen." I told her I was okay with waiting. 


I was in shock with how fast things were progressing as I drove to Midvale to see this new doctor. We arrive at the doctors' office just as a patient cancelled an 11:15 appointment. Meaning we could slide in and take that slot. The word serendipity came to my mind. 

We had to take a 3-D scan of her head. You basically lay the baby down on a huge printer and it takes a 3-D scan of her head. The tricky part is to have them hold still long enough to get a picture. It took 2 tries but the doctor said she was an easy baby to work with. He gave me a copy to see how bad her head is, the eye bone is starting to flatten which can cause issues down the road if it were to be left uncorrected. 
He gave me the copy, Diag 1 is her left eye and Diag 2 is her right eye, as you can see they aren't even and the right side of her head is very flat. It's supposed to be a close to a perfect circle as possible. 

*** Side Note - I do wish people would believe me when I say I don't have any questions. ***


The doctor then asked if I had any questions. I told him no, I had a good idea on the process, this wasn't my first rodeo, I informed him that my oldest had to use a helmet as well. I feel like he didn't pay attention to that part because the following conversation (with internal dialog) took place. 


Doctor: You do understand that this helmet must stay on at least 23 hours a day. Right? 

Me: Yes. We had to do the same with my oldest. (I just told him so). 
Doctor: This helmet is only effective if you use it. Her head is in serious condition, it [her head] is off by 20 degrees. A 6 is concerning, 10 is bad, and she is double that! I can't stress enough how needed this treatment is and why the surgeon sent you over right away. 
Me: Have you ever see a square pumpkin or watermelon? (Maybe if I explain how it works, we can head out). 
Doctor: Yes, (he replies with a puzzled look on his face.)
Me: You don't smash a pumpkin into a square. You take a little pumpkin, place it in a square mold and it grows into the same of a square. That's how the helmet works, the head grows into the shape we want it to.
Doctor: You're exactly right. I'll have to use the example in the future. (I must say I was please with my analogy). Do you have any questions? 
Me: (Looking at the sample helmet which had rocket ships and a space theme). Does it come it pretty girl colors or just plain plastic? Are there foam pads?
Doctor: (With perplexed look on his face again). Yes, there is foam padding and here is a sheet options to choose from for the helmet patterns. Now, do you understand how it will work and that it's only effective if you use it properly. 
Me: (Internal sigh. Honestly doctor, I think I have this under control).  Nope, no questions.
Doctor: Is she on any medications?
Me: Yes, Prolseic, 1.5 mg, BID (twice per day).
Doctor: No one answers that question that way.
Me: Well, my husband is a nurse. (And I read his text books while he was in school.)

Finally, I think I got through to him that I understood the process once he stopped asking 
"Do you understand the process?" 

Now we are in insurance limbo. Waiting to get the helmet approved. If it's not done in 5 days then we have to take another 3-D image because babies' heads change that rapidly. Without insurance it would cost nearly 3 grand! 

Meanwhile, back at home Rory and Daddy were having some bonding time. Here's a picture I received while in a waiting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi