Tuesday, February 16, 2016

From a Doctor's Appointment to Septic Shock to Emergency C-Section

**Spoiler Alert**This story is how my pregnancy with baby girl ends at 27 weeks, (3 months early), but starts our NICU journey. 

Tuesday-
I had a normal doctor's appointment complete with the glucose test. I had been told to monitor my vital signs; (i.e any bleeding, my blood pressure, temperature, and pulse rate) due to the previous weeks' bleeding episodes and bring my results to the appointment.I knew going into the visit that I had a low grade fever, a rapid pulse and I was still having some spotting. (I just didn't know where that would lead.) Given this information the doctor decided that he wanted me monitored for 4 hours at the hospital, just to be on the safe side.

We grabbed a quick lunch at the hospital's cafe since I hadn't eaten all morning and wouldn't be for at least the afternoon. Then we headed off to the Labor and Delivery Department (L&D). Once there I was hooked up to some monitors to measure the baby's heart rate and for any contractions. Everything was looking good, the nurse even informed us that we should be leaving around 5:00-5:30 pm. 

As 5:10 rolls around we start to gather our books,ordered a pizza for dinner to be ready for when we get home, just making general preparations to go. That's when the nurse came in and told me that I was being admitted for observation until morning and we would be transferred to the Post-partum Recovery section of the floor. 

I was a bit upset. I thought everything was fine now I have to stay at the hospital, without a single thing packed. Char got me settled into my room for the night before heading back home to take care of Heidi Anne. He promised he'd come pick me up first thing in the morning.  I got set up to be monitored for the night and began reading a book. 

Wednesday-
I got up early in the morning, resumed my book and anxiously waited to be discharged from the hospital. The doctor came in and reported to me that some of my lab results and vital signs were still concerning him, therefore, I was to stay the full 24 hours for observation and would be released later in the evening. I tried to bargain with him to be released early afternoon. I was told "we'll see". 

Throughout the day my pulse increased, normally an adult has a pulse between 60-100, mine was going anywhere from 130 - 223! An EKG was ordered which showed I was sinus tachycardia, borderline SVT. Basically, my heart was beating super fast for no good reason. It was decided that I would go to the Intermediate Medical Care Unit (IMC) it's a step below ICU for another 24 hours of observation. I was regretting that I didn't have Char pack me a hospital bag. 

An hour later we're down in IMC and I am hooked up to all these wires, I have IV fluids going, and my feet are wrapped up in stockings attached to the bed to help prevent clots. When the urge to go to the bathroom just HITS me. I'm telling Char to hurry and unhook me or I will miss the bathroom. There we are throwing off lines, freeing my legs, grabbing the IV pole, and I am two steps away from the door when I notice my water is breaking at 4:04 in the afternoon. Char calls for a nurse (whose never had to deal with a patient with broken water), who calls the doctor, who tells us to go back to L&D. I just shake my head and keep apologizing for the mess. Everyone tells me to stop saying sorry, after all it's not like I thought "Let's wait until I'm all hooked up and THEN I'll make my water break 12 weeks early!" 

We return to L& D where they verify that yes, yes my water has broken. The nurse administered antibiotics to help prevent infection. I was then given a new experience called Magnesium Sulfate. It's a medication given to help prevent cerebral palsy along with other neurological issues  in premature babies (premiees). It feels like lava is being put into your veins, like the worst full body cramps of your life. Imagine the worst flu you've ever had, then multiply that by ten. I felt like I was cooking from the inside out. Oh, the things we do for those we love. 

Char spent the night in the hospital with me because we didn't know if or when I would deliver. I spent the night getting little sleep due to the monitors and my body being consumed by fire. That was a rough night. 


Thursday
To be honest Thursday just blurs together. It was one long roller coaster day. 

We got up early and were told we'd have a 3-D ultrasound around 9:00-9:30 ish. We're thinking we'll be home by 10 or 11. Finally, 12:30 pm rolls around and I was wheeled over for the ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed that I now suffered from 100% placenta previa and that there was still enough amniotic fluid for the baby. 

Well that changed things, I was now going to be on hospital bed-rest, due to these new findings. No more waiting to go home, I was looking at staying there until the baby comes, be it 12 hours or 12 weeks. So we waited and waited to be sent back to post partum. I wasn't allowed to eat in the L&D and was starving!! 

Finally, around 6:00 pm the order came and I was transferred back to post partum. The first thing I did was ordered dinner. Then I started feeling feverish. The nurse took my temperature and it was 99.8F (with Tylenol) and noticed my breathing had become more labored and shallow. Blood labs were quickly ordered. Everything confirmed for the doctor that I was quickly heading south and so was the baby. He figured I was going into sepsis (the beginning of septic shock), which is nearly 100% fatal. 

For the third time in 48 hours I was sent back to L&D, this time I was going to have a baby for sure. I was in tears as my mind raced with thoughts. "She is only 27 weeks old. I had just been told 3 hours ago I was going on bedrest. But I wasn't sick 3 hours ago. If we don't get her out we might not see the morning. I don't even have a pregnancy photo with her. This is too much!" --It has taken me all day to commit to paper just a few thoughts during this dark moment of nothing but fear. -- Finally faith kicked in and I calmed down just in time to freak out about the epidural. 

Looking back I think I was worried about everything, yet the dart landed on "make a scene regarding your impending epidural." Make a scene I did. It went something like this:
Me-sobbing: I want general anesthesia. I've been told by at least 8 doctors that it (epidural) can't be done. I'll be paralyzed and raising three kids! 
Dr. Patel: I have done this numerous times on patients like you. At least three times a year on VWB patients. Those other doctors are fools. I can show you the newest guide that recommends it. 
Me: Still crying - But I'm scared and this day hasn't exactly gone smoothly. 
Nurse: Trust Dr. Patel, he's the best anesthesiologist we have and I've been an L&D nurse here for 14 years. (Sorry, there were 4 nurses quickly prepping me and they blend together since I was crying so much.)  
Me: I ask Char and Dr. Lammi (my awesome OB) for their opinion. They both vote for the epidural. I silently think "traitors." All that comes out is more tears. 
Nurse: Would you like to know how the epidural works? 
Me: Pushing the papers away, "No! Because I'm getting a general!", I say meaner then I meant to. 
Dr. Patel: You need to think of the baby, she is to small to handle you going under. She'll get the anethistic to and will have sever breathing issues at birth. He leaves the room to get his book. 
Me: Now I'm bawling because I feel like I'm a horrible mother to this new baby girl. Now it's a choice between her living or me walking. I just keep shaking my head no. I look at Char and ask if this is just a nightmare. He looks distraught, solemnly shakes his head no. 
Nurse-Sweetie you just ate. You could easily aspirate, then you'll be in the ICU while your baby is in the NICU. I don't think your husband can take it. 
Dr. Patel- Returns with the book.
Me: I read it for myself. I think logically for the first time, weighing the options, and sigh. Epidural it is. The baby is worth the risk. I give my consent between whimpers. 
I told you the dart landed on "make a huge scene about the epidural. This was the cliff notes version, too. 

So 30 minutes of weeping, my first and last pregnancy photo shot, and many prayers later I am wheeled to go meet my baby girl. 


I remember seeing her briefly, she was tiny, and let out a newborn kitten meow for her first cry. I told Char to go follow her and make sure she's as okay as could be expected. He got me a few pictures so I could have a better look at her. He gave me her stats. Anastasia Sonia Rose weighed 2 pounds 5 ounces and was 13.3 inches long. I saw the time and realized she was born on my Granddad's birthday. 

I lost quite a bit of blood during the surgery. I nearly aspirated as well (Dr. Patel called it).  To help me out I was given a unit of blood and had my 5th blood transfusion. But we both made it. 

FRIDAY
Right at midnight the NICU doctor came in to give us updates on the baby. This is the start of our NICU journey and the end of my pregnancy. I think I'll keep you posted on Anastasia's progress at least once a week. Here are a few pictures of her now. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi