Friday, November 1, 2013

Smart Kid

Jeff Foxworthy once said "Man, sometimes there is nothing worse then having a smart kid, nothing gets past them."

I believe Heidi Anne is one of those children he talked about. Heidi Anne is learning to read and spell. As most children, she'd rather be outside playing, dancing, sneak in extra shows like My Little Pony or Magic School Bus. (Side note, it's so weird to see her watch the exact same shows I did as a kid. I wish they would bring back "Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego?"). 

We sat at the kitchen table and she was having a hard time focusing. I said, "Heidi Anne, if you read 3 words, you can have a treat!"  She perked up and innocently asked "If I read 5 words can I have some ice cream?"  Knowing that wouldn't happen I told her "Sure thing Sunshine. You read five words from this stack of sight words and I will put sprinkles on your ice cream." 

She takes the stack of cards from my hand, reading them as she laid them on the table like rapid fire.
"See"
"Go" 
"The"
 "I" 
"A"

 Then quickly added, "Those last two are letters but they are also words." She looked up at me with a grin on her face "Momma, would you like some help getting my ice cream?"  

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi