Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Tale of Two Thanksgivings-Part 1

Thanksgiving came a little early for us this year, since my stepmom (Heidi Anne calls her Grandma Lori-it's so cute), does 911 dispatch we celebrated it on Wednesday. This way Grandma Lori can be there to take the calls for people who learn first hand things like; deep fried turkeys in a garage do not mix or that HOT medal + human skin = 2nd degree burns. Just little things :P
Thanksgiving~Grandma Lori's~2011
We left at 8:30 am on Wednesday to be down to their house by Noon. Long drive. Thank heavens for DVD players in cars!! Heidi Anne was so happy the whole drive. We were the first ones there, however, we were worried about traffic and being late coming from such a distance-we didn't want to be the cause of holding up the meal.
My Youngest Brother--Well, My Only Brother
Heidi Anne was being silly and acting shy. Really, truly shy!! She got over it after a few minutes, once she got a movie on and my brother played Lincoln Logs with her she was happy.Even though it was an Adventure, which she talked about the day before to anyone and everyone "Tomorrow I see my K-Bug, and we will play together, and I get to see all my grandpas and grandmas and we will play games!!" I think she's used to being the leader and knowing the routine at pre-school that NOT knowing the pattern throws her off her groove, no worries-she got it back quickly! 
My brother and Char Helping in the Kitchen
I guess I made setting the table sound like such fun because she wanted to help to. **Side Note-We call setting the table putting things in their "Happy Home"** Thus as we were putting things on the table she would say "Spoon, you are going to your Happy Home", "Plate, you are going to your Happy Home", in her sing~song voice. 
Helping Set the Table
Saying "Happy Home!"
Not to long after we came, my sister and her family arrived. Heidi Anne was reunited with her K-Bug!! Oh, those 2 jump for joy at the site of each other, hug each other, once they are together-you can't get them apart.
Working in the Kitchen
There is a quote I once heard and I always think of these little girls "God knew our moms couldn't handle us as sisters, so He made us cousins." I honestly think that of those two sometimes. They could be sisters easily and they are the closetest cousins I have ever seen!
Heidi Anne and her K-Bug
Even little Rye is getting included in their games. Oh, how I adore that little boy!!
Rye, K-Bug, and Heidi Anne-Happy as Can Be!!
I found an old photo album of my sister and I as kids (pretty much the exact same age as Heidi Anne and K-Bug). I would show them the pictures and as "Who is that?" When the picture was that of my sister age 3-5 they would both yell "K-BUG!!" and if it was a picture of under 18 months old they would yell "RYKKEN!!" They wouldn't believe that it was K-bug's Mommy. Sadly, any pictures of me from 5th grade and up they would say "Heidi's Mommy!!" (Maybe this is a good thing--2 decades later and I still look like I am 10....it'll be nice in a few more years I am sure.....)
K-Bug and Heidi Playing a Game While We finsh getting Thanksgiving Ready
 The food was awesome 100% me proof!! Thanks a bunch all!! My sister really wanted to put some bacon bits in the Green bean casserole then she remembered me. I love her cooking-so the pork free tasted great to me! There was stuffing (made in a crockpot! Sooo doing that next year), crescent rolls, homemade challah bread, oh the BEST sweet potatoes (even IF Char didn't eat them....Yes Love, I am still in disbelief!!), creamy mashed potatoes with gravy, fruit salad, and a great turkey.

Oddly enough, my sister and I sat at the "kids" table, as the "kids" still needed some assistance and it's just easier to sit right by them. Rykken tried to be a big boy, he was trying to drink water out of a cup without a sippy lid. He would take sips, sometimes with success, other times he got over confident and tilt the cup way back and get to much water. He would cough, shake his head like a little puppy, my sister would look at him that said "Okay, did you want a lid or you going to keep trying?" Rykken would shake his head No or sometimes even say it simply and determined "No."
Rykken-I Want To Play--But Not Mommy Is Watching Me........
My other favorite story is when the girls were coloring Rye came over to join them. While he was coloring, he colored to hard and broke a crayon-no one noticed. But he did, he would tell the crayon "I sorry" and then look up at the adults saying "It broken, I sorry crayon." Ahhhhh-So cute, so touching. My brother tried to make it better for him by taping the two pieces together, so Rykken wouldn't be so sad about the broken crayon.
They were like this BEFORE Dessert
For dessert there were pies and a pumpkin cheese cake. We all have a new favorite cheese cake--it maybe our new favorite dessert. Then we all had to go off to our other Adventures, we wanted to stay longer but had to go. This was definitely a fun Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi