Saturday, November 6, 2010

Mommas Goal # 498

Not to take the question "Are you her Nanny?"as an insult. Instead I try to take it as a compliment. Yes, this has happened to me about 20 times. Heidi and I like to make up our own games. For example, here we're playing a slightly modified version of the Mother May I walking game, (where you take weird steps, hops, skips, and for a little more fun, we also make into a race.) The person walking behind me asked what Au Pair agency I worked with.
This happens to me almost once a month. Sometimes it's when the two of us are just walking to the corner, doing errands at the store, or just playing outside. The out of the blue someone will come up and say "Oh, she's sooo cute! Are you her Nanny?" When I say "No, I'm her Momma."
They are very puzzled-you can tell they are trying to figure out if I am just a sarcastic Au Pair or really her mom. It used to hurt my feelings a little and I would wonder what made people think that I looked like hired help. ("What? Does Heidi Anne really look THAT different from me?" "They had said she was so smart and then asked who were her parents, do I look stupid??") As you can tell it used to get under my skin a little.
After a few years I believe I have solved the riddle-well if nothing else it's what I tell myself and I sleep easier at night. I think that since I am playing so cute and being silly with my Heidi Anne that there is no way I can be the "real" mother, so I must be the Nanny.
Typically the only adults you see singing & doing the actions for 3 Little Speckled Frogs, or answering the "WHY?" Inquisition from a 3 year old longer then the Spaniards ever could, or reciting The Cat in the Hat or One Fish Two Fish from Memory out in public, are in fact Nannies and their counterparts.
So I guess, Heidi Anne and I just have to much fun-(I do admit, it can be a little embarrassing at times, but her giggles and smiles instantly erase any moments of humiliation I may feel).
On a Side Note- If anyone wants to compensate me for spending time with my own daughter-I not at all opposed in any way ;D

1 comment:

  1. I would totally take it as a complement. So many parents treat their kids like inconveniences in public. I'm glad you are representing the parents that really do care and interact with their children.

    ReplyDelete

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi