Monday, April 20, 2009

We're Home

One thing my Granny and GrandDad taught me as a kid is to enjoy the little things. Since I've become a mom I've tried even harder to do that. I've heard a saying that we try to give our children what we never had growing up, but in the process forget to share with them what we had.
One thing we did a lot when I was a kid, we would go on drives. Just drive, no real direction, just here and there, but somehow always back to our house. Today after a stressful day of work, and Heidi Anne being happy enough, Char and I just drove around town and up to the campus.
We talked about where we were a few years a ago when we first moved here, how lost we felt then. As we drove in our car we talked about the months we didn't have a car and only traveled by bike, bus, or just walking.
We drove by the cemetry where I used to jog, and clean away the mud and grass that had hiden the tombstones of infants who had passed away so many decades ago. Char pointed out today it was a way for me to grive for the three babies we had lost to miscarriage.
It amazes me how much we have grown together and grown to love this place, from that one Saturday in August a few years back to now. This is where we know all the roads, the best places to get a sandwich (Old Grist Mill) or pizza (Fire House), the local activites that happen here, like the Pumpkin Walk or Baby Animal Days, where Heidi Anne loves the parks, and feeding the ducks that live by my work, or the mean geese at First Dam.
As a child we moved around a lot and for the first time in so many years.....I've found a home, we're all home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi