Tuesday, April 26, 2016

NICU Journey Week 11 - NICU Grad






Anastasia's growth this week: 

Weight: 2270 Grams!! (Was 2065 Grams)
Length: 44 Centimeters  
(Was 44 Centimeters)
Age: 11 weeks old 
(Should be 38 weeks gestation)






Friday
Today Char came down to visit Anastasia with me. Mostly because I was afraid to drive. I nodded off
while driving last time and it really scared me to make such along drive again. I ran off the road. No one was hurt but it was super scary. 
She heard my voice!!
Anyways, we all went down. My baby is tube free!! They took out her feeding tube and has been eating all on her own for 48 hours! She's also their senior baby currently (the baby that's been in the NICU for the longest amount of time). She was extremely alert today! She kept looking everywhere and following sounds with her eyes, she's never done that around me before! 

She's been eating for 48 hours so she should be coming home anytime now, right? Wrong. As is with NICU life there always seems to be a catch. That catch is she can't have a heart episode that requires intervention for 5-7 days. So she's on track to come home Monday! As long as she passes her hearing test and her car seat test. The car seat test is where they have to keep their heart rate and oxygen up while sitting in a car seat. 

Char took Rory for a walk while I cuddled Anastasia and went to rounds then we switched. Rory really enjoyed his little stroll outside with Daddy. He tolerated indoor time with me.
UG!!! The NICU just called and her eye doctor isn't on board with her coming home Monday. He is going to visit her tomorrow to see how her eyes are doings. I think they are worse off then we were initially told. If they are any worse she can't come home Monday. She'll need treatment (whatever that may be) before she can be released. Char says what's the worst that can happen, they treat her? But I just want her home. (Maybe it's that drive scare). 

Saturday
Yeah, she passed her hearing test and the eye exam today. She still has ROP but it hasn't worsened to the point where they want to keep her at the hospital. She just has to come back for an appointment in a week. Then we'll go from there. Pray it resolves or doesn't need treatment. 
It's really happening! I'm so nervous and excited for her to come home. We're getting everything prepared and ready to bring our little Anastasia home. Trying to get caught up / ahead on chores because having a newborn preemie and a 13 month old toddler is going to be hectic! Anything I can do to get ready for Monday the better. 

Sunday
Oh My Gosh!! I am so nervous and excited at the same time. By this time tomorrow she could be home! I was in such a rush to try to clean things up because I'll be to tired tomorrow and I jammed my finger. 

Monday
Today started out by my friend Amber watching Rory for us. which was a good thing because the whole discharge process took over 8 hours. As soon as she and rory left we headed to go get Anastasia's O2 tanks and pulseometer (which measures her heart rate and her O2 saturation). Char and I cope by making jokes and general humor. While we were reviewing how the tanks work we tried to tease the trainer, to say the least she was not amused. 
Then we made the most anxiously filled drive to the hospital. I kept expecting a phone call saying she had an episode and couldn't be discharged. Or that her ECG came back with bad news (it came back with tachycardia which is no big). We went to McDonalds for a quick bite to eat. Where they made an order error, in our favor. Never had that happen before.   

The time at the hospital as a long day of hurry up and wait. After 75 days of being in the NICU Anastasia was released from the hospital today. I am so drained.

She's 75 days old and I'm trying to learn everything about this tiny human. She's on O2 and monitors (which go off at the worst times). Now beings the real trail, life after NICU. No more teams of nurses, doctors, APRNs, computer system reminders. Just Char, me, the kids and our memory.   

P.S I HATE the stupid O2 monitor. I swear it alarms when nothing is wrong. It's like "Just letting you know everything is fine, thought you would like to wake up and be notified." 
Rory's Footprint versus  Anastasia's Footprint

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi