Monday, April 15, 2013

Autoimmune Adventures - Weighty Issues

If you have any autoimmune disorder chances are you've been on Prednisone. Prednisone is interesting, it works, but it has some side effects. The one people see or fear the most is the weight gain. The swollen face, being puffy, or your stomach swells up and you look like one of those starving children pictures (tiny arms and legs but a balloon stomach). I've known people who chose not to take the medication solely because of this side effect.

Trust me I have been there. In the last 36 months I have been anywhere from 100 pounds to 230 pounds and everywhere between. Here are some tips I have on how to deal with the “Yo-yo” weight.

1. I keep all my various sized clothes from the XXL to the Medium. Same with the shoes, lots of shoe sizes. I find it helps with those "Nothing FITS!" Fits. All hung up and ready to go.

2. Have some fun with your hair and make up. Find ways to make yourself feel good about yourself. Different hair cuts or styles can make you look better. Even different shades of make up can improve how you feel about your looks.

3. Hide the scale. Chances are you know about what you weigh and seeing the numbers will only make you feel worse.

4. Eat healthy. The weight will come and go but your habits will stay. Trust me, I know the feeling of "Geez, if I'm going to look this way I might as well enjoy what I eat and just go hog wild with the junk food."

5. Stick with the medication. Again the weight will come and go. Prednisone keeps the autoimmune issues at bay. There are far more serious complication that can arise from not taking care of yourself. Yes, the looks and stares aren't fun, but at least your around to see them. Chances are your better able to move, breath, eat, talk, walk, ect. I'll take the weight gain but being able to walk with my little girl over being tiny but bedridden any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi