Saturday, September 8, 2012

My Mountain Goat in Grand Canyon

I think one of my favorite stops had to be the Grand Canyon. We were all so well rested and ready for adventure.
The views were just amazing, no matter where you were it's just breathtaking. Heidi Anne had a blast, it was all we could do to keep up with her.
I have learned one very important lesson while at the canyons-my child is part mountain goat. She doesn't fear heights, cliffs are nothing more then a mere annoyance, guard rails are more of a "guideline", and ledges are just places to get a better view. She just loved the whole canyon.
We would hike some trails but I could see she was just jumping at the bit.

We found a shady spot along the trail and I decided we needed to get all that energy drained.
**SIDE NOTE-There is a picture of Heidi Anne's Aunt Millie that looks almost EXACTLY like this. I wanted to get a copy of it soo much so everyone could see the 2 pictures of Millie (at 4 / 5) side by side with Heidi at 4. As you can tell-I wasn't able to get a copy-hence the 1 picture below. But imagine this same picture above next to a in a more grainy duplicate-then you sort of get the idea. IF I happen to get a copy, I'll post it like I wanted to originally.**
So I stayed on my little rock in the shade while they went along the rest of the trail. I had fun chatting with other mothers who made the same decision as I. Which was, let the dads' take the kids through the hike to ware them out.
'
Singing "I Stole Mommy's Spot"
After different trails (or the same one back and forth) it was time for lunch. Again, we let her pick the table in the middle of the woods with a lovely view of the canyon.

She watched a hawk as it circled around a cliff while we started to unpack for lunch. Suddenly she was trying to swat at some bugs. These bugs turned out to be wasps. Yeap, our table was the home to a hive of wasps.

We hightailed it to the car where we had a car pick-nick.

 It worked out nicely, we still had a pretty view of the canyon, that hawk, and enjoy our lunch while being a safe distance from the wasps. Being well feed and sting free we resumed exploring Grand Canyon.
You couldn't help but get caught up in the Heidi Anne atmosphere. She was so enthralled with everything at the canyon.

Hey Let's Go! Happy as can be...(Totoro Moment)
She would pick up on little things like how the clouds made patterns on the mountains, how far far away you can see, the storm in the distance, the different levels and colors on the ridges. 
I'm almost positive that a 4 year old had to be with the explorers when they first saw the Grand Canyon-otherwise it would be named something like "Okay Sized Canyon" or Colorado River Canyon, or "I've seen Better Canyon". Honestly, being there with my little girl, it was the Grandest Canyon.


1 comment:

  1. Hey, you've been somewhere I haven't! The Grand canyon is on my list of things to see someday. I'll have to ask you for tips for when I take my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi