Friday, June 8, 2018

And Now It's June

Well, May went by fast. Here's the Highlight Reel of the past month. 
Heidi Anne has begun Girl Scouts as a Junior. Since we're doing homeschool we wanted to give her more social opportunities. Even though we came in towards the end of the year, she's been loving it. (Fun fact-Girl Scouts works based on a school calendar year not Jan - Dec.) I decided this could be a great Mom and Heidi 1 on 1 thing. So I signed up as a troop supporter (AKA homeroom mom).   

It's been less than a month and we've done a lot of activities with the troop and at home to earn merit badges. 
One of the first things we did was go on a hike and clean up the trail as we went along. Yes, she is wearing flip-flops while hiking. I didn't get the memo just how far and steep we'd be walking. 

About 2 Saturdays ago the troop decided to do an extracurricular field trip to the Ogden Nature Center to learn about local wildlife and walk the trails. My plan was to drop Heidi off and go to the Instacare (since I was coughing up a lung) with Rowan in tow. Well, only 2 other girls showed up. The leader figured this 3-hour adventure would be cut down to 1 hour. I choose to stick around. 














We found unique birdhouses volunteers had made hidden in some of the trees. Rowan wanted to be like Heidi and explore some of the trails. 
 He only got to like a 1/4 a mile on his own. Then he wanted to be held. We were pretty sure we'd get to the treehouse destination really soon. I put him on my back and kept on going. He was having none of it. Once we reached the 1/2 mile mark it was apparent we'd taken the wrong trail. I let Heidi continue on with her troop while I made a U-Turn with Rowan. 
It was a LONG 1/2 mile back to the visitor center. Take it from me, never go hiking when your sick AND with a toddler simultaneously. It was a LONG 1/2 mile. Since he was a good sport about everything I got him a huge black raspberry sucker. (Suckers are one of his favorite rewards). About 40 minutes later the girls returned. I was glad I turned back when I did. 

There was a Bear River Refuge trip but we missed it due to scheduling conflicts. I plan on taking her sometime this summer to make up for it. Plus you can get a badge if you go to a National Park and fill out a workbook. She's really looking forward to that. 


For the End of Year Party the troop went to a water park and had pizza. There were so many girls I'd never seen before. Anyways, Heidi earned her Musician badge and was given a Girl Scout Junior Badge and a 2018 year pin. She was so proud of her self. Now we need to get her a sash so she can put her things on it. 
She's also working toward her Gardener Badge. One the of the tasks is to plant a garden. We don't have space for a garden nor a good spot that the dogs won't get into. We improvised, she planted some flowers for me in big pots and put them on the porch. I love my lilies! 
We've done a lot with the troop but we did non-Girl Scout things as well. We've been going to the park and splash pad a bit. I was worried about the water at first and was expecting a short trip. After all the Littles despise baths and water. 
To my surprise, they seemed to enjoy themselves. Even Anastasia ran through the water a time or two. 
Heidi mostly kept an eye on Anastasia in the pad because she is tiny and easily gets overlooked and knocked over. 
After some time in the water, the park nearby was calling to them.  


















Anastasia played on the smaller jungle gym meanwhile, Rowan went to the big kid one with Heidi Anne. They both loved the slides on their respective playgrounds. 













They both impressed me by climbing up obstacles to get to the slides. Anastasia climbed up these stairs (which she won't do at home). Rowan clamored up a pretend rock wall. It's so fun to watch them grow and overcome challenges. 
Currently, there is a cute trend of parents sharing what names children have given everyday objects or actions. It made me aware of the adorable things my Littles have named things. Rowan has come up with a new name for phone chargers. They're called Phone Tails. 
Not to be outdone Anastasia now calls sips, Water Bites.

Those were the good times. There have been many sad and difficult moments and revelations this past month. Things I wish no parent to suffer through. We're working on it but it's going to be a long, hard road with no easy fix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you cant say anything nice, then dont say anything at all--Bambi